ST. GEORGE — A Hurricane residence was spared from a Monday morning structure fire that consumed a chicken coop and a large wood pile as it spread toward a detached garage.

Firefighters respond to a structure fire reported at a home on West 725 South in Hurricane, Utah, Jan. 8, 2024 | Photo courtesy of Hurricane Valley Fire & Rescue, St. George News

The blaze, however, killed all the chickens that were roosting inside of the coop.

Fire crews were dispatched just after 4 a.m. to a residence on West 725 South and were met with visible flames as the blaze spread through the yard at the rear of the home.

Hurricane Valley Fire Captain Tyler Ames told St. George News the fire started either in a wood pile or in the chicken coop in the back of the residence.

Fire crews tackled the blaze and extinguished the flames before they had a chance to spread, sparing the home located within feet of where the fire started. The detached garage sustained extensive damage to one exterior wall, but the interior of the structure was left relatively intact, the captain said.

Prior to the incident, ashes from the fireplace were discarded in the backyard where a pile of wood and a chicken coop were located. At some point during the night, Ames said, the smoldering ashes ignited either the wood in the pile or the chicken coop, and from there the blaze spread toward the detached garage.

File photo of firefighters working to extinguish a fire reported at a home on 975 North that burned through a chicken coop in Hurricane, Utah, Dec. 13, 2023 | Photo courtesy of Hurricane Valley Fire & Rescue, St. George News

The entire wood pile and the chicken coop were destroyed. In addition, all of the chickens that were roosting in the coop were killed in the fire. Ames added there were at least five chickens in the coop, but there could have been more, and none of the hens survived.

No injuries to the occupants or firefighters were reported, Ames said.

This is the second fire that burned through a chicken coop in Hurricane in less than a month. On Dec. 13, a blaze burned through a chicken coop and continued to spread towards the residence located on 975 North near the American Legion Sports Complex in Hurricane, as reported by St. George News later that same day.

This report is based on statements from police, emergency personnel or other responders and may not contain the full scope of findings. 

Photo gallery  

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2024, all rights reserved.