ST. GEORGE — Fourteen people were evacuated from a Hurricane home early Tuesday morning as a fire blazed in the attic.
Shortly after midnight, Hurricane Valley Fire District responded to a fire at 2608 W. 550 North. Engine 42 arrived first and reported light smoke emanating from the front of the house, Hurricane Valley Fire Captian Tyler Ames told St. George News. Moving through the garage upstairs, crews found “heavy fire” in the attic. The burn started near an exterior gas fireplace in the house’s front courtyard.
“The fire was quickly extinguished, and crews were able to contain the damage to the garage and attic space above the garage,” he said. “There was only minor smoke damage inside.”
There were 14 people inside, and all were evacuated safely, with one person receiving a medical evaluation for smoke inhalation, Ames said.
The Hurricane City Police Department, the Washington City Fire Department and the Hildale-Colorado City Fire Department also responded to the call.
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2023, all rights reserved.