April 10, 1950-Jan. 15, 2024

Phyllis Squire Snow came into this world on April 10, 1950. She was the second daughter of Phil Ervil Squire and Ruth Hafen.  

Phyllis enjoyed an idyllic childhood on Flood Street in St. George surrounded by many friends and relatives.  

She attended local schools, graduating from Dixie High School in the Class of 1968. She was an excellent student and went on to graduate from Dixie College in 1970. That same year she entered Utah State University, ultimately earning a master’s degree in educational audiology. Her training led to a career working with hearing-impaired and sight-impaired pre-school children.  

While at Utah State she assisted faculty in creating an early intervention program for toddlers. This program was endorsed by the federal government and adopted by many states throughout the country. Phyllis was tasked with traveling to these states to train others. During these trips Steven and the boys stayed home and bonded, giving away the frozen meals carefully prepared by Phyllis and instead dining on pizza and take-out.

Phyllis was adored by Steven, who was her high school sweetheart. Following his mission he talked her into marrying him. They married in the St. George Temple on June 25, 1971. They are the parents of four boys who bring them endless joy.  

Her interests included reading, sewing, quilting and handiwork. She learned to ski and went on many hikes but only to support her boys. Her sons can also attest that her skills are unmatched as a travel agent for guilt trips.   

In 1994, Phyllis and her husband were called as mission leaders to preside over the California San Fernando Mission. They loved the young people and senior couples with whom they served.

In 1999, Phyllis was diagnosed with breast cancer, beating the disease over the subsequent year and again prevailing over kidney cancer in 2006.

In 2001, she again set aside her career and served with Steven when he was called as a full-time General Authority Seventy. They spent four years in Africa and fourteen years at headquarters.  Everywhere she lived and worked she made many friends whom she loves dearly.  

Upon their release from full-time service Phyllis and Steven returned to their beloved Southern Utah. During the past three years, she has struggled with progressing dementia, which caused her to slowly fade into the night.  

She is survived by Steven, her husband of 52 years; four sons Eric (Carolyn), Clu (Megan), Riley (Erika) and Garrett (Dayna). She is also the proud grandmother of 17 grandchildren who she loves dearly. She is also survived by her sisters Bonnie, Sharlene, and Ann and her brother, Jan.  

Funeral service will be Saturday, Jan. 20, at 11 a.m., at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, St. George East Stake Center, adjacent to the temple. A viewing will be held before the service from 9-10:30 a.m., at the chapel, as well as Friday, Jan. 19, from 5-7 p.m. at Spilsbury Mortuary, 110 South Bluff St., St. George.  

Interment will be in the St. George Cemetery, 650 East Tabernacle Street, St. George.  

The family would like to extend special thanks to the staff of Legacy Village who provided such kind and loving care to Phyllis. Additional thanks go to Memory Matters for their support and love, particularly Brad and Terry Cottam.  

Arrangements are under the direction of Spilsbury Mortuary, 110 S Bluff St., St. George, 435-673-2454. Family and friends are invited to sign Phyllis’ online guest book.