ST. GEORGE — Residents of an apartment complex used a fire extinguisher to contain a small fire in their bathroom, St. George Fire Department Chief Robert Stoker.

File photo showing St. George firefighters responding to dryer fire, St. George, Utah, Jan. 31, 2020 | Photo by Mori Kessler, St. George News

Before 10:30 p.m. last night, the residents of a lower dwelling reported a fire between the ceiling and floor of the unit above them near 860 South Village Road.

The cause of the fire was a faulty exhaust fan that had its motor fail, perhaps due to overuse or a buildup of lint. The assembly ignited, the fire chief noted.

St. George Fire Department responded to the scene along with St. George Police to quell the remaining flames. Eight or nine of the units were occupied as nightly rentals with a couple being filled by long-term residents.

Residents from three of the units were displaced for the night due to smoke throughout the complex. Others voluntarily relocated for the night.

There was substantial damage to the structure but no injuries were reported, Stoker said.

Copyright St. George News, LLC, 2024, all rights reserved.